Seniors' Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP)The Dare County Department of Adult & Senior Services provides valuable information about Medicare and insurance related issues through an innovative statewide program.
The Seniors' Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) was created by the North Carolina Department of Insurance to help senior citizens obtain free and unbiased counseling on Medicare health care products. Volunteers receive specialized training on how to answer questions about Medicare.
The Seniors' Health Insurance Information Program provides information about the following:
- Medicare supplements
- Medicare Advantage
- Medicare prescription drug plans
- Long-term care insurance
- Other health insurance concerns
Questions may be addressed to a SHIIP Counselor at Dare County Adult & Senior Services or by a toll-free call to the North Carolina Department of Insurance
- Thomas A. Baum Senior Center - Emily Karr 252.475.5638
- Fessenden Center - 252.475.5647
- Dare County Center - Sandy Scarborough 252.475.5625
- NC Dept of Insurance - www.ncdoi.com/shiip 1.800.443.9354
Tax aid, through AARP, is also available by appointment during the tax preparation season.
Contact Mary Jernigan at 252.475.5637 or the Dare County Center at 252.475.9270.