Dare County values the service and sacrifice made by local men and women in uniform. 

In appreciation, the Dare County Board of Commissioners provides a local Veterans Service Office to help veterans and their dependents gain information and assistance in accessing all available benefits.The Dare County Veterans Service Office provides up to date information about Federal benefits and programs including – 

  • Disability Benefits – help in obtaining compensation if disability occurred as a result of your military service. You may also apply for a disability pension if you are a wartime veteran, have limited income, and cannot work.
  • Dependent and Survivor Benefits – for spouses, unmarried children under 18, helpless children, and low-income parents of service members. Information about Death Pensions, VA Civilian Health and Medical Programs, and other assistance is also available.
  • Hospital and Medical Care - from VA facilities, outpatient medical treatments, dental services, pharmacies, and prosthetic care. Referrals are made, as appropriate, for readjustment counseling, drug or alcohol treatment programs.
  • Burial Benefits - assisting family members in applying for headstones and grave markers, burial flags, Presidential Memorial Certificates, and reimbursement of burial expenses.
  • Education and Training - benefits for approved training programs. You can use your Montgomery GI Bill, Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP), Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance, Federal Employment and On-the-Job Training benefits to further your education.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation – Veterans who are service-disabled may be eligible for VA-funded special retraining in order to obtain suitable employment.
  • Home Loans – assistance in obtaining a VA-guaranteed loan for a home, a manufactured home, a lot, or condominium is available.
  • State of North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs – The State of North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs (NCDVA) provides scholarships for children of certain deceased, disabled or POW/MIA veterans. NCDVA also offers employment, hunting and fishing licenses, special auto license plates, certified records, and other special programs. The Dare County Veterans Service Office is available to help access these additional resources and services.