Hurricane Matthew Recovery

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Click here to visit the North Carolina Hurricane Matthew Recovery Website

If you feel confused about the next step in your recovery, like finding housing or understanding what documents you may need to have on hand, FEMA says call us at 800-621-3362.

If you disagree with a decision made by FEMA, or need help making a recovery plan, FEMA says call us. If you know people who seem stuck, tell them to call FEMA. If you haven’t heard from FEMA and you were expecting to, call 800-621-3362.

FEMA Information 

County Manager Bobby Outten has reported that some citizens have received denial letters from FEMA after submitting applications for assistance. He explained that in some cases denial letters were sent because of missing or inaccurate information. He encourages anyone receiving a denial letter to follow up with FEMA rather than getting discouraged and throwing the letter away.  


You may register for assistance online or by phone - visit or call 1-800-621-3362 or TTY 800-462-7585.  It is very important for disaster survivors to register with FEMA as they may be eligible for disaster assistance such as temporary housing, rental assistance and home repairs, and for other serious disaster-related needs, such as repairing or replacing damaged or destroyed personal property, and medical and dental expenses. Business owners impacted by the storm should register as well.

All private nonprofits are encouraged to apply for FEMA Public Assistance if they experienced losses related to Hurricane Matthew. Click here for more information. 

Legal Aid

Legal Aid NCCall for free legal help related to Hurricane Matthew. Callers should (1) identify that they are seeking Hurricane Matthew-related legal assistance, (2) ask for Disaster Legal Services, and (3) should identify the county in which they are located. Survivors who qualify for assistance will be matched with North Carolina lawyers who have volunteered to provide free legal help. Get help with FEMA benefits, insurance claims, home repair contracts and contractors, lost wills and other legal documents, foreclosure and landlord-tenant problems. 
Call 1-800-662-7407, weekdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.For more information click here.


OBCFThe Outer Banks Community Foundation is coordinating all monetary donations. At this time monetary donations are the greatest help to those in need rather than donations of clothing and other goods., Donations can be made online at, or mailed to the Outer Banks Community Foundation at 13 Skyline Road, Southern Shores, NC 27949. Please write "Disaster Relief" in the check memo line. 
Dare County (as a governmental entity) is no longer accepting donations of material goods. The best way for those who want to help is to make monetary contributions to the Outer Banks Community Foundation Disaster Relief Fund, or the charity of their choice. 

Flood Insurance