For the latest information regarding the power outages on Hatteras Island, please visit the Cape Hatteras Electric Cooperative on FaceBook  or Twitter. Tune to Radio Hatteras at 99.9/101.5 FM or via live stream at 


  • Where do I take used furniture, appliances and used mattress?
More FAQs >

Dare County offers two Construction and Demolition (C&D) locations for residents and businesses to dispose of construction materials, and metal materials, such as appliances. There is a truck scale on location for weighing. The first 500 lbs for residential customers is free, and the rest is prorated at $65/ton. If you are a business, and want to apply for credit, contact the Public Works Office at 475.5880 or 475.5881 for an application.