How to Protect Your Horse from Mosquitoes:
- Stable your horse during peak mosquito hours, dawn and dusk, and throughout the night if possible.
- Keep your stable dark at night; some mosquitoes are attracted to incandescent lights that glow yellow.
- Change water in troughs and clean troughs weekly.
- If possible, remove all birds, including chickens that are close to the stable.
- Store wheelbarrows and empty buckets upside down.
- If you’re in a high mosquito area, consider using topical treatments containing mosquito repellents labeled for horses. Contact your local veterinarian before use and be sure to follow all label directions.
- Remove or cover old tires and drain tarps holding water.