The Register of Deeds Office serves as custodian and manager of a large number of public records, including deeds, deeds of trust, and subdivision plats.
The Office also maintains files of Dare County Board of Commissioners meetings, Dare County Airport Authority minutes, and Military Discharge records.
The Register of Deeds Office issues marriage licenses and supplies copies of birth and death certificates in Dare County. The General Statutes of North Carolina govern the Register of Deeds Office which has the responsibility of protecting the integrity, completeness, accuracy and safekeeping of these public records.
We ask that marriage license applicants arrive no later than 4:30 p.m.
Duties of the Register of Deeds Office include:
- recording real estate-related documents
deeds, deeds of trust, power of attorney, releases, and real property related UCC's (Uniform Commercial Codes) etc;
- recording subdivisions and survey plats, condominium maps, partnership and assumed names, and military discharges;
- cancelling deeds of trust;
- issuing marriage licenses;
- maintaining and issuing certified copies of vital records - births, deaths, and marriages which occur in Dare County;
- administering oaths to Notaries Public