Dare County Sheriff's Office
P. O. Box 757
Dare County Justice Center
962 Marshall C. Collins Drive
Manteo, NC 27954-0757
Phone (252) 475-5980
Fax (252) 441-9437
Handgun Purchase Permit Information and Requirements
- The fee for each permit is $5.00 (non-refundable) and each permit has an expiration date of five (5) years from the date of issue.
- Either checks or exact cash will be accepted at the time the application is received.
- Your permit(s) will generally be ready after five (5) business days from the date of submission.
- You are encouraged to call the Sheriff's Office before coming by to pick up your permit(s) to ensure that it is
ready for pickup.
- If your application is denied, you will be notified in writing.
- All questions on your application must be completed before the application can be processed.
- You may mail the completed application to the Sheriff's Office or you can bring it to the Sheriff's Office. If you mail the application to the Sheriff's Office, include a copy of your driver's license or ID.
- The form to purchase a handgun may be filled out online and printed, or picked up at the Sheriff's Office.
- Applications and permits cannot be mailed.
- Permits must be picked up by the applicant within twenty-eight (28) days of notification or you will have to re-apply.
Applicant requirements for a Pistol Purchase Permit
- Must be 18 years old
- Must be a resident of Dare County for a minimum of 30 days
- Must have a valid NC Driver's License or NC ID Card displaying your current residential address.
- Resident Aliens: Must bring a resident alien card, social security card and a NC driver’s license or NC ID card
- Military personnel must bring forms 1380E (active duty) or DD-214 (discharged).
- Naturalized Citizens: Must bring your Naturalization Certificate or valid US Passport
- U.S. Citizens born outside of the U.S.A. to U.S. parent(s) must bring your documentation from the Department of State (Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Citizenship, or Certification of Report of Birth)
- Must NOT be convicted of any felony, or similar offense in any jurisdiction or currently under indictment for any felonious offense
- Must NOT be a fugitive from justice
- Must NOT be an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, any depressant, stimulant or narcotic drug
- Must NOT be adjudged incompetent on grounds of mental illness, nor have been committed to any mental institution
- Effective December 1, 2015, North Carolina General Statute 14-404(e1) requires applicants to sign a release of court orders concerning mental health and capacity for pistol purchase permits.
- Must NOT be convicted of a Domestic Violence Offense
- Must NOT have unresolved criminal charges pending
- Must NOT have a suspended driver's license
- Must NOT have a substantial history of convictions, arrests, or reports demonstrating a continuing pattern of criminal activity
- Must NOT be discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
- Must NOT be an illegal alien or unlawfully residing in the United States
- Must NOT have been a citizen of the United States and renounced that citizenship