After being elected in 2010, Sheriff Doughtie recognized the need for a liaison between victims of crime and law enforcement. To this end, he implemented this vital service, a first for the Dare County Sheriff’s Office. Victim Advocate Gail F. Hutchison comes to the Dare County Sheriff’s Office with over 20 years of crisis intervention experience.
The Victim’s Advocate assists victims, witnesses and families of crime within unincorporated Dare County.
- Assistance in completing Crime Victims Compensation forms
- Support of Victims/Family/Witnesses as the case progresses
- Help in understanding the Law Enforcement/Court Process
- Assistance in setting up Statewide Automated Victim Assistance and Notification (SAVAN) accounts for victims of crime.
- Offer to Victims/Family/Witnesses comprehensive support services throughout the county, state and nation.
- Administer the Dare County Sheriff’s Office facebook page for current information surrounding office and officer activities