For 2017, property must be listed between January 17- February 17 . Listings must be submitted by mail or in person. Mailed listings must be postmarked by February 17 to avoid a penalty.
Mail to: Dare County Tax Listing Dept, P O Box 1000, Manteo, NC 27954. You may also list at the Dare County Tax Office, 962 Marshall Collins Dr, Manteo; Monday - Friday 8:30 am- 5:00 pm.
Tax Listing Links
For reprints, copies, or questions about your 2017 Individual Listing Form: Please contact our office at 252.475.5940
The Tax Listing Office is responsible for mailing listing forms and valuing the personal property listed by taxpayers. The taxpayer is responsible for listing personal and real property located in Dare County as detailed below.
Taxable Personal Property
- North Carolina General Statute 105-274 requires that all personal property within the jurisdiction of the state is subject to taxation unless it has been specifically excluded by statute.
- Aircraft, boats, boat motors, jet skis, mobile homes, furnishings in a rental property, non-tagged motor vehicles, multiyear/permanent plate tagged vehicles (i.e. boat, utility, animal trailers), and business equipment are considered personal property and must be listed each January during the regular listing period which is January 15th through February 15th. See Business Personal for more detailed information on business equipment.
- Listing a property involves providing a year built, make, model, serial number, and description of the property, along with the purchase price. The value of the property for tax purposes is determined from this information.
Note #1: Watercraft registered with the North Carolina Wildlife Resource Commission or U.S. Coast Guard must also be listed for tax purposes with the Dare County Tax Listing Department
Note #2: Aircraft registered with the Federal Aviation Administration must also be listed for tax purposes with the Dare County Tax Listing Department
- To list personal watercraft, tagged multi-year/permanent vehicles (i.e., utility, animal, boat trailers), mobile homes, rental home furnishings, or untagged motor vehicles, contact number 252.475.5965; email email@example.com, or Keisha Rawls 252.475.5958.
- To list commercial boats, airplanes, or business equipment, call Teri Carmichael at 252.475.5951; email firstname.lastname@example.org or Kim Westover at 252.475.5950; email email@example.com
Taxable Real Property
- New construction, improvements, or demolitions made to land or buildings in the prior year are considered real property and must be listed each January during the regular listing period which is January 15th through February 15th.
- New buildings, additions, decks, enclosures, finished areas, garages, pools, sheds, bulkheads, docks, and piers are examples.
Failure to List
Failure to list property will result in a penalty of ten (10%) percent of the personal property tax amount which will be added to the bill for each year that the property was not listed.
It is the duty of the County Assessor to insure that all property subject to taxation is listed.
When property is discovered that the taxpayer failed to list, the assessor has the authority to list it for the current year and the previous years (up to 5 years) for which the property was not listed.
If you do not receive a listing form by February 1st, you need to contact the Listing Office to request a form.
Contact the Listing Office
- If you change your mailing address.
- If you move your personal property to a different location either within Dare County, or to another county or state.