County of Dare
|For Immediate Release: 10/30/2012||Contact: Public Relations Office
Update on Service Repairs Following Hurricane Sandy
Most roads in Dare County remain open, however, the following roads are closed due to impacts from ocean overwash:
- Highway 12 on Hatteras Island remains closed.
- The 158 Bypass in Kitty Hawk is closed near Milepost 4; however, all traffic is being rerouted through neighborhoods west of the highway.
- There are areas of Highway 12 (Beach Road) in northern beach towns that remain closed.
Motorists are encouraged to use extreme caution, avoid standing water, and stay out of all barricaded areas. Avoid travel through the Bypass in Kitty Hawk, if possible.
Dare County Emergency Management advises that Dare MedFlight is operational and available for emergency medical evacuations, including Hatteras Island.
All visitors are asked to confirm reservations with their accommodations provider before traveling to the area.
Damage assessment teams are in the field today to survey the effects of the storm. Repair crews are working to correct the following service problems caused by Hurricane Sandy -
- NC Highway 12 on Hatteras Island, south of Oregon Inlet, remains closed due to sand and water on the roadway. NC DOT is working to clear sand and water on Highway 12 to allow travel between villages and provide access to the emergency ferry dock in Rodanthe.
- Ferry Service from Hatteras to Ocracoke continues to be suspended. Emergency Ferry service between Rodanthe and Stumpy Point is expected to begin operating this afternoon. Schedules will be announced as soon as determined.
- A CenturyLink crew remains on scene in Rodanthe working to repair the damaged fiber cable to restore cell phone and internet service. Callers are asked, if possible, to dial 9-1-1 from a land line phone to report emergencies. During the repair, there is a possibility that customers may be without all fiber related service for up to an hour.
One-stop early voting is available today as scheduled at the Baum Center in Kill Devil Hills and at the Elections Office in Manteo, but is cancelled at the Fessenden Center in Buxton. For more information about one-stop early voting, call the Dare County Board of Elections Office between 8:30 and 5:00 PM at 252.475.5630.
Dare County Public Works - Trash Collection Schedule For This Week:
Commercial pick up will be on:
- Wednesday, October 31, 2012 and Friday November 2, 2012.
Residential pick up will be on:
- Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012 -- Kitty Hawk, Southern Shores, and Colington
- Friday, Nov. 2, 2012 -- Manteo, Wanchese, Manns Harbor, Stumpy Point, East Lake
All areas of Hatteras Island will be collected on Thursday, November 1 and Friday, November 2 as road conditions and ferry operations allow.
Town of Kill Devil Hills -
All cross roads north of Palmetto Street between the highways are closed. All cross roads between East Holly Street and East Clark Street are closed, including Memorial Avenue and Wrightsville Boulevard and closed. NC 12/Virginia Dare Trail is closed to all vehicular traffic within the areas identified above. There are no road closures west of US 158/Croatan Highway.
Town of Kitty Hawk -
The Kitty Hawk Police Department is advising all residents, visitors and property management companies that the areas east of US 158 toward the ocean are closed to everyone but emergency personnel. No one is allowed in this area until further notice, due to debris and downed power lines.
With the assistance of the Kitty Hawk Fire Department, the Salvation Army is setting up a Food Canteen in the vicinity of Eckner Street and HWY 158. The canteen will be serving meals on location and the Fire Department will be delivering meals to individuals who are unable to leave their homes along Lindbergh and other areas between the highways.
Town of Nags Head -
All roads in Nags Head are open and passable. Building inspections in Nags Head will be closed until Thursday, November 1 at 8:30 am.
Town of Southern Shores -
Any repairs of walkways and steps to the ocean beach must be permitted via written CAMA application to the Planning and Code Enforcement Department at Town Hall. CAMA officials are currently assessing permitting standards based on possible migration of regulatory setbacks. Assessment of debris on the public beaches in Southern Shores is underway and a cleanup schedule will be announced at a later date. Trash collection will occur on Thursday, November 1. Please have your cans out by 6:00 AM The next recycle service will be Monday, November 5.
Updates from Dare County Emergency Management will continue to be released as updated information is available. The Dare County Emergency Operations Center may be reached at 252-475-5655. Visit www.darenc.com for updated information.