- All visitors to the Detention Center will be subject to a search for contraband.
- Introduction of contraband into the facility may result in arrest and criminal prosecution.
- All adult visitors will be required to present proper identification such as:
- Driver's License
- Special ID card obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles
- Military ID card
- Children under the age of sixteen (16) are to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at all times.
- All visitors will be subject to a check for outstanding warrants.
- Visitors must conduct themselves in an orderly manner.
- Visitors must be clothed appropriately. The following are inappropriate:
- Mini skirts
- Short shorts
- Stomach or cleavage exposed
- No bags, baby strollers, or car seats will be allowed beyond visitor's lobby
- Attorneys or Court Officials may visit at any reasonable hour, provided there is Detention Center Staff to accommodate the visit.
- Incoming – General mail must have a return address to include the full name of the sender or it will not be accepted. General mail will be opened and inspected prior to delivery to the inmate. Any contraband found will result in criminal charges and/or sanction for the sender and inmate. Any books, newspapers or magazines must be mailed directly from a publisher. Money received in the mail will be deposited in the inmate's account. Money Orders will not be accepted after July 1, 2013.
- Outgoing – Outgoing mail will be inspected for contraband before mailing. All outgoing mail will bear a return address of the Detention Center as well as the name of the inmate.
Automated information, such as inmate sentences and projected release date, may be obtained statewide by calling 1.877.NCSAVAN (1.877.627.2826).
Driving Directions – Going north through Manteo, turn left at the traffic light at Harriot Street. When the road forks, take the right onto Driftwood Drive. The Dare County Detention Center is on the left side at 1044 Driftwood Drive.
View Larger Map