Any business that fails to list during the regular listing period and is discovered by the business personal property tax department, or lists late, is subject to a 10% penalty.
Extensions of time to file a business listing can be requested in writing to the Business Personal Property Department, and must be received (postmarked) no later than February 15th. Extensions of time to file allow the listing to be filed no later than April 15th.
Tax bills are mailed once a year, generally during the month of July. The towns of Duck, Southern Shores, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, and Manteo are billed by the county and those bills reflect the town and county tax rate in one bill. The unincorporated districts receive one bill also. Businesses located in Nags Head receive two bills, one from the county and one from the town.
This office also is responsible for the listing of large boats and aircraft. Questions concerning these types of properties should be directed to Connie Poole, firstname.lastname@example.org, 252.475.5950, or Teri Carmichael, email@example.com, 252.475.5951. Additional information is also available under Tax Listings.
Additional Information on Business Personal Property:
- Contact our office if your mailing address changes, or you move your business either within Dare County, or to another county or state.
- Businesses operating or located in the town of Nags Head, Manteo or Kill Devil Hills may need a privilege license.
- Businesses operating as a hotel, motel, cottage court, or weekly rental are subject to an occupancy tax. For more information contact the Occupancy Tax Office, at 252.475.5964
- Businesses operating as a food service are subject to a meals tax. For more information contact the Food & Beverage Office, at 252.475.5957
- If a business is to be operated under an assumed name, you should register the business name with the Dare County Register of Deeds 252.475.5970. A Doing Business As form must be completed through the Register of Deeds for a fee.