Authorization for the land transfer tax became effective September 1, 1985 by House Bill 716, 1985 Session, General Assembly of North Carolina.
- County:Must be used only for capital expenditures or debt service incurred for capital expenditures for courts, jails and detention facilities, emergency medical services, libraries, recreation, education, administration, water, sewage, health and social services.
- Municipalities:Must be used for capital expenditures or debt service incurred for capital expenditures.
- First twelve (12) years of tax, 100% of net proceeds to Dare County
- Thereafter (beginning 7/1/97)
- 65% to Dare County
- 35% to named towns (Duck, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Manteo, Nags Head & Southern Shores) in proportion to the amount of ad valorem taxes levied by each town for the preceding fiscal year.
A person can dispute the amount of tax due stated by the tax collector to the Land Transfer Tax Appeals Board. A hearing is held by filing a written notice of appeal with the tax collector within 30 days after paying the tax. Board meets when needed.