You may register to vote in Dare County if you are:
- A citizen of the United States; and
- 18 years of age or older by the election; and
- A legal resident of Dare County for 30 days by the date of the next election
To register to vote, complete and return the North Carolina Voter Registration Application to the Dare County Board of Elections Office. You may drop-off the form during normal business hours or mail your completed form to the mailing address below.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE FOR APRIL 30, 2019 CONGRESSIONAL PRIMARY - 5:00 PM FRIDAY, APRIL 5
Dare County Board of Elections Administrative Office
954 Marshall C. Collins Dr
Manteo, NC 27954
Open Monday - Friday from 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
P.O. Box 1000
Manteo, NC 27954
The North Carolina Voter Registration Application is available at the following locations:
- North Carolina Board of Elections Website
- Dare County Board of Elections Office
- Dare County Public Libraries
- Town Hall Offices
- Various Public Assistance Agencies
When you register, you will need to declare your party affiliation. You may register with any recognized party in the State of North Carolina which is Republican, Democrat, Unaffiliated, Green, Constitution or Libertarian. Party affiliation determines the Primary in which you are eligible to vote.
An Unaffiliated voter is currently allowed to vote in the Democratic or Republican Primary. The individual party has the authority to permit Unaffiliated voters to vote in its primary. On election day the Unaffiliated voter must state the political party with which he affiliates and in whose primary he wishes to vote.
ONE-STOP EARLY VOTING SAME DAY REGISTRATION
Persons who are not registered in a county may register at one-stop sites (early voting sites) during the early voting period. Upon completion of registration, the newly-registered voter can immediately vote at that same one-stop site. This process is known as same-day registration.
Same-day registrants must attest to their eligibility and provide proof of residence. A voter attests to their eligibility by completing a Voter Registration Application and affixing his/her signature. Knowingly attesting to false information is a Class One felony. After the voter's attestation, he/she must prove his/her residence by presenting any one of the following showing his/her current name and current address:
- North Carolina driver license
- Other photo identification issued by a government agency. Any government-issued photo ID is acceptable, so long as the card bears the voter's current name and current address.
- A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document showing the voter’s name and address
- A current college/university photo identification card paired with proof of campus habitation
Within two business days of the person’s registration, the county board of elections will verify the registrant’s driver license or social security number, update the voter registration database, search for possible duplicate registrations, and proceed to verify the registrant’s address by mail. The registrant’s vote will be counted unless the county board of elections determines that he or she is not qualified to vote.