Monday afternoon update from NCDOT - N.C. 12 from the Marc Basnight Bridge (Oregon Inlet) to Rodanthe is still closed as sections of the Outer Banks road are covered with sand and water due to dune breaches and ocean overwash. Conditions remain poor on N.C. 12 and ocean overwash is continuing to inundate the road with water. N.C. Department of Transportation crews are assessing impacts and continuing to clear the road of sand caused by dune breaches between Rodanthe and Oregon Inlet. Officials are not sure when it will be safe to reopen N.C. 12. The last winds from this weekend’s strong storm are forecast to exit the coast later today.  NCDOT will continue to provide updates on N.C. 12 as new information is available. 

For real-time travel information, visit or follow NCDOT on social media.

Update My Voter Registration

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

You must update your registration if you:

  • have moved to another address within Dare County since you registered to vote; or
  • have changed your name; or
  • wish to change your party affiliation

To change your address, name or party affiliation print, complete and return the NC Voter Registration Application to the Dare County Board of Elections Office. You may drop-off the form during normal business hours or mail your completed form to the mailing address below.  

Dare County Board of Elections Administrative Office

954 Marshall C. Collins Dr
Manteo, NC 27954
Open Monday - Friday from 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 1000
Manteo, NC 27954

The North Carolina Voter Registration Application is available at the following locations: 

Party Affiliation 

When you register, you will need to declare your party affiliation. You may register with any recognized party in the State of North Carolina which is Republican, Democrat, Unaffiliated, Green, Constitution or Libertarian.  Party affiliation determines the Primary in which you are eligible to vote.

An Unaffiliated voter is currently allowed to vote in the Democratic or Republican Primary. The individual party has the authority to permit Unaffiliated voters to vote in its primary. On Election Day,  the Unaffiliated voter must state the political party with which he affiliates and in whose primary he wishes to vote.

Cancellation of Registration

There are several ways to cancel your own Dare County voter registration.

When you register to vote in a new county or state, you can complete the "Previous Voter Registration" section of the registration form.  That county or state will notify Dare County that you have moved, and we will then cancel your Dare County registration.

Complete the back of your voter card with the new address and county information and send the voter card to the Dare County Board of Elections at P.O. Box 1000, Manteo, NC 27954.

To Cancel Another Person's Voter Registration

The only time a person is authorized to cancel the registration of another person is when the voter is a near relative cancelling registration of a deceased family member. If your deceased relative is still registered to vote in Dare County, you may print and complete the Notice of Deceased Voter form and mail it to:

Dare County Board of Elections
P.O. Box 1000 
Manteo, NC 27954