COVID-19 Bulletin #32
It is imperative that everyone in Dare County follow the Stay Home - Stay Healthy order and restrict all non-essential movement. Only go out when absolutely necessary. Practice social distancing by staying a minimum of 6 feet away from others, other than immediate family members.
4/5/2020 12:30:00 PM
COVID-19 Bulletin #31
Dare County Division of Public Health has announced the sixth positive test result for COVID-19
4/5/2020 9:19:48 AM
COVID-19 Bulletin #30
The Dare County Division of Public Health announces the fifth positive test result for COVID-19.
4/4/2020 4:28:03 PM
Dare County is taking actions to prevent the spread of infection by practicing social distancing and offering services in alternative ways. As the situation progresses, office closures may occur but services will continue to be provided.
For any type of service, please call the department or office before you visit to reduce the need for in-person interactions. While there may be changes to some programs and services, County staff will continue to provide essential operations for our residents and businesses.
This page will continue to be updated as services or closures change and the COVID-19 situation evolves.
In an order entered Friday, March 13, the Chief Justice has directed that local courts postpone most cases in district and superior court for at least 30 days.
Access to the Dare County Board of Elections office is restricted to staff only but remains open for contact by phone, email or fax.
To register to vote, change address, name or party affiliation, please download a North Carolina Voter Registration Application at darenc.com/elections. Complete and sign the application and mail it to:
Dare County Board of Elections
PO Box 1000
Manteo, NC 27954
For emergencies dial 911
Dare Central Communications Non-Emergency Phone Number (252) 473-3444
Food and Nutrition Benefits Recertifications
Food and Nutrition Services will automatically extend eligibility for March and April Food benefits for families whose cases are due a review for continued eligibility. If you have questions please call 252.475.5500. If you wish to apply for Food and Nutrition Services you may do so online at Epass.nc.gov.
Northern Beach Offices will be closed for clinical services beginning Friday, March 20, 2020. Limited clinical services will be available in Manteo and Frisco. For clinical services, please call 252.475.5003 for Manteo or 252.475.9320 for Frisco.
Environmental Health Services
Environmental Health will be conducting all future business over the phone or electronically until further notice. Applications and plans can be left in a drop box located to the right of the main entrance. In person inspections must be scheduled ahead of time, and will be on a case by case basis. Please call 252.475.5080 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency Economic Services
We have temporarily changed some of our procedures to ensure your health and wellness as well as that of our staff. At this time, please call before coming into the office, as most needs can be resolved via email, fax and phone. If you do have to come into the office for some reason, please take all precautions as indicated by the CDC. If you are in need of assistance, please dial 252.475.5500 and ask to speak with an emergency intake social worker.
Women, Infants and Children
The Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program is operating on a remote basis by telephone and computer to determine eligibility and provide food and nutrition education benefits including those for breastfeeding support. Please call 252. 475.5068 to make an appointment or to review eligibility standards and benefits.
IT is operating as normal and providing support of the county's COVID-19 response.
Locations are closed until further notice, but our Virtual Library never closes! To learn more about our digital offerings such as eBooks, eAudiobooks and Digital Magazines that you can get from home 24/7, please visit www.darenc.com/
You need a Dare County Library card and a PIN (Personal Identification Number) to access many of our eResources. If you already have a library card, but not a PIN, please call the library during weekday hours (until further notice) and we can set you up with a PIN.
If you DO NOT have a Dare County Library card, we have a website where you can easily sign up for one from home. This site is usually reserved for Dare County School students only, but during the remainder of our COVID-19 closure, Dare County Residents and Property Owners of ALL AGES can apply for a card from home (scroll down on page)
During weekday hours staff will turn your application around quickly and email you your library barcode as well as your PIN (Personal Identification Number) so you can gain access to our digital resources.
Another useful source of information is our East Albemarle Regional Library WebLinks page https://www2.youseemore.
A reminder that if you currently have library materials out, NO OVERDUE FINES will be charged while we are closed. We prefer that customers hold onto the materials they currently have out, rather than returning them to one of our books drops. If you currently had an item on hold, it will be here for you when we reopen.
If you need assistance or are unsure how to use our online resources, please call any of the Dare County Libraries during weekday hours and a staff person will be happy to set up your account, and tell you more about our digital resources.
- Manteo - 252.473.2372
- Hatteras 272.986.2385
- Kill Devil Hills 272.441.4331
All Parks & Recreation facilities including playgrounds and public restrooms operated by Dare County are closed to the public. Parks are open but please practice social distancing. According to a recent study released from the National Institutes of Health, scientists found that the COVID-19 virus was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel.
If it is vital that you need to see someone, please call first:
- Northern Beach Division - 252.475.5920
- Roanoke Island/Mainland Division - 252.475.5910
- Hatteras Island Division - 252.475.5650
- Start Smart Baseball and
- Start Smart Tennis
Dare County Center - 252.475.9270
Closed and all events are cancelled. At this time, the Dare County Center will continue the Senior Nutrition Program, delivering meals to homebound clients and providing drive through pickup lunches to anyone 60 years of age and over.
The Fessenden Center - 252.475.5650
Closed and all events and programs are cancelled.
Thomas A. Baum Senior Center - 252.475.5635
Closed and all events are cancelled. At this time, the Baum Center will continue the Senior Nutrition Program, delivering meals to homebound clients and providing drive through pickup lunches to anyone 60 years of age and over.
Dare County Extension Office is closed to the public.
Our Extension Agents and staff are still available via email and phone, and will continue to assist you to the best of their ability. Find contact info and details regarding Dare County N.C. Cooperative Extension operations on our website at https://dare.ces.ncsu.edu/.
Effective March 17, 2020 anyone wishing to secure a building permit or a subcontractor permit (mechanical, plumbing, or electrical permit) should call the Dare County Planning Department to make arrangements for the issuance of the permit. The telephone numbers for the appropriate offices are listed below. Arrangements for inspection of projects already permitted should call to schedule a time for an inspection.
These procedures are being implemented in an effort to limit the health impacts of COVID-19 while continuing to provide permit and inspection services. Your cooperation with these arrangements is greatly appreciated.
- Mainland Dare County, Roanoke Island – 252-475-5870
- Colington/Baum Bay, Martin’s Point – 252-475-5871
- Hatteras Island – 252-475-5878
Hatteras Island and Martins Point large item pick up is canceled and will be re-scheduled as soon as possible.
Sanitation Services are running on normal schedule.
Recycling Centers are open and operating on normal hours. Please note: There is no cardboard recycling at the Rodanthe Recycle Yard at this time. Please bring cardboard to the Manteo Recycle Center or the Buxton Transfer Station.
Commercial Recycling: there is no recycling pick up services at businesses.
To order trash cans: Please call 252.475.5895. Cans will be delivered to your home. There is no trash can pick up available at the Public Works office.
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak resulting in a declaration of emergency, The Register of Deeds office is implementing the following steps to restrict access to the office of Register of Deeds:
- Limited public access to the office.
- Urge Attorneys to utilize our electronic recording system for recording all documents. All-in person recording will be done by appointment.
- Have citizens order certified copies of Birth, Death and Marriage through our online service at www.getcertificatenow.com All requests will be processed and mailed out the same day or the following day (depending on time of submission), or send us a request via mail along with the fee and a copy of the photo id which will be returned to them via mail.
- Couples wishing to apply for a Marriage License should complete the online marriage application on our website and then call the. office at 252-475-5970 to schedule an appointment to come in and complete the process. Only the parties to the marriage will be allowed.
- Any Notary who needs to take the oath of office or veteran needing to record discharge papers may do so by appointment only.
- Funeral Homes should fax their request for death certificates to 252-473- 5393 or call the office at 252-475-5970 in order to have the request processed to limit time spent in our office for pickup.
- All passport applicants must call to make an appointment during this time.
I would appreciate everyone's cooperation in this matter in order to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees and the public. If you have any issues or concerns please feel free to contact our office.
The Dare County Sheriff's Office will no longer be fingerprinting applicants until further notice.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
In accordance with the guidelines set out by the N.C. Health and Human Services Division, effective immediately all visitation, professional visits and programs are cancelled until further notice at the Dare County Detention Center.
Attorneys may telephone the Detention Center to schedule a phone conference with an inmate.
Dare County Social Services has limited lobby access to the public. We are still providing services by telephone, mail, and online. If you want to file an application for benefits, call 252-475-5526 to apply by phone. You can also apply for some programs online at epass.nc.gov.
If you are turning in paperwork or an application at our office, place it in the drop box next to the front door or in the box just inside the front door.
Food and Nutrition Services
NC DHHS received approval to issue Food and Nutrition supplements up to the maximum of the household's monthly benefit. The automated supplements will be for March 2020 and April 2020. Households that already received the maximum allotment will not receive a supplement. The household size will not include ineligible or disqualified members. NC DHHS will begin automatically issuing March 2020 supplements on April 1, 2020 and for April 2020 supplements on April 22, 2020. Supplements will be randomly generated and staggered every other workday until all households have been supplemented.
The Mapping, Assessment, Land Transfer, Tax Listings and Business Personal Offices have implemented policies to restrict access to the public in an effort to eliminate face to face contact:
- The Mapping / Assessment / Land Transfer / Tax Listings / Business Personal Property lobbies will be closed to visitors beginning March 19, 2020.
- If business can be conducted online, by mail, by email, or by telephone, it needs to be done in that manner.
- If the service is unavailable online, by mail, by email, or by telephone, and you have to visit one of these offices in person, it must be done by appointment only.
- For Mapping inquiries, please call (252) 475-5960 or 475-5961 or email email@example.com.
- For Assessment inquiries, call (252) 475-5940 or 475-5941 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For Land Transfer inquiries, call (252) 475-5939 or 475-5591 or email email@example.com. The Land Transfer Office has more specific details regarding operation. Please contact the office directly.
- For Tax Listing inquiries, please call (252) 475-5958 or 475-5965 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For Business Personal Property inquiries, call (252) 475-5950 or 475-5951 or email email@example.com.
- For any Collections issues, please call Tax Collections at (252) 475-5952.
We appreciate everyone’s cooperation in this matter in order to ensure the health, safety and well-being of our employees and the public. If you have any issues or concerns please feel free to contact our office.
- The Tax Collections / Tax Listing lobby will be closed to visitors beginning March 18, 2020.
- All tax payments can be made utilizing our online services at www.darenc.com, our drop box in front of the Dare County Courthouse, the drop box and/or drive thru’s at the Dare County Water Departments in Kill Devil Hills and Frisco, and by mail to PO Box 1000, Manteo NC 27954.The drop box at the Courthouse will be attended to frequently throughout the day with the last opening at 4:45 pm.
- Occupancy and Food & Beverage reporting and paying can be done online.To register for an online account go to: https://darenctax.munisselfservice.com/citizens/default.aspx.
Reports and payments can also be left in our drop box in front of the Courthouse or mailed to PO Box 1000, Manteo NC 27954.
- All vehicle taxes are now paid through the NC DMV, located inside Island Pharmacy (252) 473-3926.
- For any other Collections issues, please call Tax Collections at (252) 475-5952.
Drop offs for Land Transfer requests will continue on a daily basis with the following changes:
Drop off time: 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. daily
Drop off location: outside the Mapping and Assessment Department door
On the cover letter or face of the deed, please write the currently scheduled recording date. This is to assure that those deeds with the earliest recording dates will be taken care of first.
The Land Transfer Office will still email your office or call with the Land Transfer number and amount of tax due. The Land Transfer Office will be glad to assist you the day of recording. Please call the office to schedule a time. 252-475-5939
E-filing is available through Simplifile. We strongly encourage the use of this service.
Please note that all deeds filed electronically must be received by the Register of Deeds by 4:30 p.m. in order to be recorded on the same day. Ample time for processing by the Land Transfer office is necessary also.
If you need assistance or have questions please call 252-475-5939, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dare County Water Department’s Customer Notification of the Requirements of North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper’s Executive Order Number 124
Executive Order Number 124
• As of March 31, 2020, for at least 60 days, the Dare County Water Department is prohibited from disconnecting residential utility services for nonpayment of quarterly water bills.
• As of March 31, 2020, for at least 60 days, the Dare County Water Department will not impose new penalties for late payments or collect on penalties that were imposed on residential accounts.
• Dare County Water Department will provide its customers an opportunity to set up reasonable payment plans to pay any delinquencies on residential accounts.
• Dare County Water Department will reconnect utility services that were
disconnected prior to March 31, 2020 when requested by the customer.
The complete Executive Order Number 124 can be found here: https://governor.nc.gov/documents/executive-order-no-124
There is no longer public access to the Dare County Water Department customer service offices.
Entry to Water Department Offices is by appointment only.
You can pay your water bill with a credit card on our Citizens Self Serve portal. You will need your customer number from your bill which is located in the Customer ID box. A nonrefundable convenience fee of $3.95 with a transaction cap of $400 will be applied.
Pay by Mail
Make checks payable and mail to: Dare County Water Department P.O. Box 538321 Atlanta, GA 30353-8321
Pay by Bank
If you have automatic bill pay set up to pay your water bill from your bank account (either checking or savings) please allow up to ten days to receive and process payment. The bank may deduct the payment from your account immediately and then send us a check through the mail for payment. We have found there is sometimes a delay in receiving and processing these payments in a timely manner. The online bill pay checks are sent for processing without the receipt stub so; to minimize payment delays, please send these payments to: Dare County Water Department 600 Mustian Street, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948
Pay by Phone
You can pay your water bill with a credit card by calling toll free 1.888.272.9829. The jurisdiction code for Dare County is 3955. To use the automated system you will need the account number OR customer number from your bill. A convenience fee of $3.95 with a transaction cap of $400 will be applied. The convenience fee will not be refunded.
Pay at Billing Office Drive-Throughs
Both billing offices in Kill Devil Hills and Frisco have drive-through payment areas.
Pay at Deposit Box
When paying in person use the payment drop box located at the entrance to the south driveway at the Billing Office in Kill Devil Hills or the payment box attached to the front door. A payment box is located at the entrance to the Frisco Billing Office and the front door.
Customer Service Information
Customer Service Clerks cannot take credit card payments over the phone.