Face Coverings Must Be Worn In Indoor and Outdoor Public Spaces in North Carolina Where Social Distancing Cannot Be Maintained - More information available here.


Dare County values the service and sacrifice made by local men and women in uniform. 

In appreciation, the Dare County Board of Commissioners provides a local Veterans Service Office to help veterans and their dependents gain information and assistance in accessing all available benefits. The Dare County Veterans Service Office provides up to date information about Federal benefits and programs including – 

  • Disability Benefits – help in obtaining compensation if the disability occurred as a result of your military service. You may also apply for a disability pension if you are a wartime veteran, have limited income, and cannot work.
  • Dependent and Survivor Benefits – for spouses, unmarried children under 18, helpless children, and low-income parents of service members. Information about Death Pensions, VA Civilian Health and Medical Programs, and other assistance is also available.
  • Hospital and Medical Care - from VA facilities, outpatient medical treatments, dental services, pharmacies, and prosthetic care. Referrals are made, as appropriate, for readjustment counseling, drug or alcohol treatment programs.
  • Burial Benefits - assisting family members in applying for headstones and grave markers, burial flags, Presidential Memorial Certificates, and reimbursement of burial expenses.
  • Education and Training - benefits for approved training programs. You can use your Montgomery GI Bill, Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP), Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance, Federal Employment and On-the-Job Training benefits to further your education.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation – Veterans who are service-disabled may be eligible for VA-funded special retraining in order to obtain suitable employment.
  • Home Loans – assistance in obtaining a VA-guaranteed loan for a home, a manufactured home, a lot, or condominium is available.
  • State of North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs – The State of North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs (NCDVA) provides scholarships for children of certain deceased, disabled or POW/MIA veterans. NCDVA also offers employment, hunting and fishing licenses, special auto license plates, certified records, and other special programs. The Dare County Veterans Service Office is available to help access these additional resources and services.

Important Information for Every Veteran

  • Locate your DD-214 form.  As a veteran, it's a important document that should be permanently retained.
  • It is best to file your DD-214 with the Register of Deeds office for safe keeping.  There is no charge for this.
  • Notify close family member(s) that you have registered it and keep an additional copy securely at home or in your safety deposit box
  • If you are a Vietnam veteran and have not had an Agent Orange screening, please do so. There are 15 medical conditions that may be related to Agent Orange exposure that you could be experiencing now for example: Diabetes II, Prostate Cancer Heart Disease and others. Call the Hampton VA Medical Center in Hampton, VA - Environmental Exposure Coordinator 757.722.9961 Ext. 2637. Again, if you have had 'boots on ground' in Vietnam, please inform your physician. A list of the identified medical conditions related to Dioxin exposure is available if you would like one.
  • The VA Health Care system is there for you in addition to your private primary care physician
  • FYI: In addition to the Hampton VA Medical Center, there is a VA outpatient medical clinic in Elizabeth City, N.C. and a facility in Greenville, N.C. for outpatient services
  • Get involved with your local chapter of The American Legion Fort Raleigh Post 26 by calling 252.305.1239 and the V.F.W. Outer Banks Post 10950 by calling 571.236.9823
  • Marine Corps League Outer Banks Detachment 1264 Phone Number 252.305.4768

Thank you for your service to our country. We are proud to serve you.