The Special Olympics goal is to improve the lives of individuals with intellectual disabilities through sport, by empowering them both on and off the field of play and bringing them into the larger society where they are respected and accepted.
Special Olympics Dare County is a volunteer-driven organization. Whether you're interested in coaching athletes, helping in fund raising, or coordinating events, we have volunteer opportunities for just about everything. Special Olympics athletes in Dare County are never charged a fee to compete. Any person with developmental or cognitive disabilities or a combination of the two, ages 8 and up may become a Special Olympic athlete.
Special Olympics Dare County offers training and competition in 5 sports:
- Bocce Ball starts in the fall and is held at Family Recreation Park in Kill Devil Hills
- Bowling will be held at the Outer Banks Bowling Center in the fall/winter
- Basketball starts in December and is held at the Lions Club Center at Westcott Park in Manteo and at the Youth Center in Kill Devil Hills
- Athletics like Track and Field is held in the Spring/early Summer
- Cheerleading at the Dare County Center in the winter
- Equestrian is held in late Summer-early Fall
We are also hoping to develop a young athletes program for those 7 and under.
For more information about becoming involved with Special Olympics Dare County in any way, please contact Kathleen Morgan email@example.com at 757.357.0448 or 757.472.1331.