Volunteers are an important part of Dare County Parks and Recreation. In order to volunteer for the Dare County Parks and Recreation Department or any other co-sponsored organization certain criteria must be maintained.
Any volunteer working directly with youth must undergo a thorough background check. Each co-sponsored and outside organization shall be responsible for ensuring that its volunteers comply with this policy. Volunteers convicted of the following offenses may not volunteer with Dare County Parks and Recreation or any other Dare County co-sponsored organization:
- Crimes again minors – convicted or pending
- Sex based offenses – convicted or pending
- Non-payment child support issues
- Felony in the past 10 years
- Two or more separate drinking offenses within the past 6 years
- Misdemeanor drug offenses in the past 6 years
- Pending criminal charges other than minor traffic violations
- All other convictions shall be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine if the individual poses a safety risk to the children involved in the program.
*This list is subject to change without notice. Dare County Parks and Recreation reserves the right to deny any person the privilege of being a volunteer at any time without explanation.