Following is an outline of the information that is required for the issuance of a building permit.  Further questions about these items should be directed to Planning Department Staff, who will be happy to help you.

  • A blue-line survey of the subject property prepared by a registered North Carolina land surveyor. Survey must depict the natural ground elevation, flood zone, and parcel identification number (PIN).
  • Water tap authorization and receipt for hook-up fees are required if the site is served by central water. To obtain a Water Tap, contact the Dare County Water Department. Lots not served by central water must install a private well.
  • A septic permit issued by the Dare County Health Department
    • for construction in Martin's Point, Colington, or Hatteras Island, septic permits are issued at the Dare County Satellite Office, 2601 N Croatan Highway in Kill Devil Hills.
    • for construction on Roanoke Island, Manteo and the Dare County Mainland, septic permits may be obtained at the Health Department office located at the Dare County Admin. Building in Manteo.
  • Floor plans must be reviewed and approved by the Dare County Health Department.
  • Three complete sets of the building plans of the proposed structure are required. One set of plans will be kept by the Inspector. One set will remain at job site. One set will be retained by the Contractor.
  • If the project is located on the oceanfront, a sound, or a canal, it may require a Coastal Area Management Act (CAMA) permit. CAMA permit applications may be obtained at any Dare County Planning Office or by calling 252.475.5849. For additional information on CAMA permits please see the “CAMA” section of this website.
  • Each respective contractor and subcontractor must possess a valid license issued by the State of North Carolina to perform his or her particular task(s).