This is a frequently asked question. Following are general guidelines for the issuance of building permits. Further questions about whether building permits may be needed for your project should be directed to Planning Department Staff, who will be happy to help you.
- All new construction requires a building permit. Any remodeling job over $15,000 in costs, affecting load-bearing walls or increasing the dimensional footprint also requires a permit.
- Replacement of shingles on a roof does not require a building permit unless the plywood underneath the shingles also is being replaced.
- Any plumbing, electrical or mechanical work requires a building permit regardless of the cost of the job.
- Fences do not require a building permit unless they exceed 6' in height.
- Pre-constructed storage buildings do not require a building permit unless the size is over 12 x 12, in which case a permit must be obtained. Permits are required for storage buildings that are constructed on-site.