The Register of Deeds Office is open from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. but we ask that marriage applicants be in the office no later than 4:30 PM, if possible. You may also visit our Marriage Kiosk to complete an online marriage license application.
Upon issuance, your marriage license is immediately valid for 60 days. You can purchase your license in any county in the state of North Carolina and get married anywhere in the state of North Carolina, but you are required to return the marriage license to the issuing county within 10 days after the marriage ceremony.
The fee for the marriage license is $60.00. We accept credit/debit cards, cash, checks, or money orders, made payable to the Dare County Register of Deeds. Please note that there is a 2% surcharge for credit card purchases.
Identification Requirements for Obtaining a Marriage License
- Both applicants must personally appear at the Register of Deeds Office.
- Applicants under the age of 21 must present a certified birth certificate
- Both applicants must present a valid government picture ID card (driver's license, passport, etc.) that includes date of birth information.
- Both applicants must present proof of social security number, which can be in the form of a social security card, W-2's or tax return forms, or an affidavit which indicates that you are not eligible for a Social Security number.
- The requirement regarding divorce decrees is: If your previous marriage ended in divorce less than a year before, you will need to bring a copy of your divorce decree. If the divorce was more than a year before, you will need the exact month and year of the divorce.
- Applicants under the age of 18, please contact our office at 252.475.5970 for additional requirements
Request a Certified Copy of Your Marriage License
If you need a certified copy of your marriage license, you may acquire it at our office, by mail, and online.
To request it by mail, please complete the Certified Copy of Marriage License Request Form and include it with the $10 fee and a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Dare County Register of Deeds
P.O. Box 70
Manteo, North Carolina 27954