The NC Secretary of State oversees the qualifications of notaries in North Carolina. You may obtain the following information from the Notary Public Section of the NC Secretary of State’s web site www.sosnc.com.
- Requirements for becoming a Notary
- Initial Application Form
- Requirements for Reappointment as Notary
- Application for Reappointment
- Requirements for Name/Address change
- Application for change of name/address
- Notary acknowledgement forms
Fee for notary application is $50.00 and must accompany the application which is mailed to:
Secretary of State
Notary Public Division
PO Box 29626
Raleigh NC 27626-0622
After receiving word that the notary commission is approved, the applicant must appear at the Register of Deeds in the county of the commission for the administration of oath. Fee for administering the notary oath is $10.00. The Register of Deeds will issue a certificate at the time the oath is taken and record the notary’s signature, date of effectiveness, and expiration date.