PLEASE NOTE, EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2011
NORTH CAROLINA DOCUMENT RECORDING STANDARDS
All documents executed and recorded on or after OCTOBER 1, 2011, must meet G.S. 161-14(b) as follows:
- Use 8 ½ x 11 or 8 ½ x 14 paper.
- Have a 3 inch blank margin at top of first page and ¼ inch blank margin on remaining sides of first page and all subsequent pages.
- Should be typed or printed in black on white paper.
- Font size no smaller than 9 points. (This is 9 point font.) Blanks in an instrument may be completed in pen.
- Only one sided typed or printed text.
- The type of instrument needs to be at top of first page below blank margin.
- The identification of the person or law firm that drafted the document must be on the first page.
If instrument does not meet requirements outlined above, Register of Deeds shall register the instrument after collecting a $25.00 fee for non-standard documents as required by GS 161-10(a)(19). If an instrument fails to meet the requirement of font size (less than 9 point), but is determined by the Register that the instrument is legible, the Register of Deeds may record without collecting the non-standard fee charge.