Dare County has declared a State of Emergency due to the unprecedented public health threat posed by COVID-19 and determined that restrictions and prohibitions are necessary to protect public health and safety and are also in keeping with the President's Coronavirus Guidelines for America. Visitors and non-resident property owners are prohibited from entering Dare County. View details at   Click here for the latest information on COVID-19. 

Motor Vehicle Tax

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Visit your local License Plate Agency or to pay taxes and fees.

In North Carolina, a program called Tag and Tax Together was implemented in 2013.  This program combines the vehicle registration fee and property tax on one notice which is mailed to the vehicle owner by NC Division of Motor Vehicles 60 days prior to the expiration of the registration. 

The total amount due on the combined statement will be made payable to NCDMV. You will not be able to renew your vehicle's registration unless the total taxes and registration fees on the vehicle are paid at the same time.

The following motor vehicle categories are not taxed through the Tag and Tax Program :

  • vehicles exempt from registration by North Carolina law
  • manufactured homes 
  • mobile classrooms and offices
  • semi-trailers registered on a multi-year basis
  • motor vehicles owned or leased by public service companies
  • vehicles in confidential status

All registered motor vehicles are valued at retail value. Valuation appeals and supporting documentation must be postmarked or received within 30 days of the due date printed on the combined notice. 

If your address has changed since you registered your vehicle you can change your address by visiting your local license plate agency or by requesting a duplicate registration card online.

Delinquent Motor Vehicle Tax

If you are attempting to pay a delinquent vehicle tax bill, prior to 2014, contact the Tax Collections Office at 252.475.5952.

Lost or stolen plate form (pdf)