Due to increased call volume for reentry permits, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for information regarding your Business Personal Property ID number.
If you applied and received a Business Reentry permit in 2019, please utilize the "Reprint" option. You will need your drivers license number to use this option.
All businesses located in Dare County are subject to business personal property tax on the equipment used in connection with their business. Each year, these business assets must be listed through the Business Personal Property Tax Office during the annual listing period, January 1 through February 15. During this time, a business listing form is sent to any business that filed in the prior year, or has requested a form.
Any business that fails to list during the regular listing period and is discovered by the business personal property tax department, or lists late, is subject to a 10% penalty.
If an extension for listing is needed, this must be requested no later than February 15, and can be granted until April 15th. A letter requesting the extension should be mailed to the Dare County Business Personal Property Dept, PO Box 1000, Manteo NC 27954.
This office also is responsible for the listing of aircraft or boats used for a business such as commercial or charter fishing. Questions concerning these types of properties should be directed to Kim Westover 252.475.5950, or Teri Carmichael 252.475.5951. Additional information is also available under Tax Listings.
Additional Information on Business Personal Property:
- Contact our office if your mailing address changes, or you move your business either within Dare County, or to another county or state.
- Businesses operating as a hotel, motel, cottage court, or weekly rental are subject to an occupancy tax. For more information contact the Occupancy Tax Office, at 252.475.5964
- Businesses operating as a food service are subject to a meals tax. For more information contact the Food & Beverage Office, at 252.475.5957
- If a business is to be operated under an assumed name, the owner or principal should register the business name with the Dare County Register of Deeds 252.475.5970. A Doing Business As form must be completed through the Register of Deeds for a fee.
- Other business resources: Business Link North Carolina -Toll number: 919.807.4280; Toll free number: 800.228.8443
- The following forms may be obtained from the Business Forms screen of the Business Link North Carolina website www.blnc.gov/start-your-business/business-forms:
- Certificate of Assumed Name for a Sole Proprietorship, Partnership
- Certificate of Assumed Name for a Corporation
- Certificate of Transfer of Assumed Name
- Certificate of Withdrawal of Assumed Name