ANYONE CAN RIDE!
The Dare County Transportation System provides a daily Rural General Public (RGP) demand response service that is a curb to curb, ride by appointment transportation service. This service is available to all Dare County residents and visitors for any purpose.
ADA Para transit service is the door-to-door shared ride transportation for passengers who meet ADA eligibility requirements established by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Passengers must be able to meet the driver at street level. The driver cannot move you or your mobility device up or down stairs.
Who is eligible to use this service?
ADA Para transit service eligibility is strictly limited to three categories of individuals:
- Any individual with a disability who is unable, as the result of a physical or mental impairment (including a vision impairment), and without the assistance of another individual (except the operator of a wheelchair lift or other boarding assistance device), to board, ride or disembark from any vehicle on the system which is readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities.
- In addition to individuals with physical disabilities that prevent them from using the fixed route, this right is also granted to people with mental, cognitive, and visual impairments who cannot recognize destinations, understand bus transfers, or distinguish between different buses on different routes at terminals and/or while en route.
- Any individual with a disability who could ride an accessible vehicle but the route is not accessible or the lift does not meet ADA standards.
EDTAP (Elderly and Disabled Transportation Assistance Program) transportation is available to those who meet the following criteria:
- an elderly person is defined as one who has reached the age of 60 or more years.
- a disabled person is defined as one who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity, an individual who has record of such impairment, or an individual who is regarded as having such impairment.
The EDTAP funds are intended for those individuals who do not qualify for transportation assistance under a human service program. Age 60 and older folks may submit certification form along with a copy of a valid picture ID directly to the Dare County Transportation Department located at 954 Marshall Collins Drive, Manteo, NC. 27954 or fax to: 252.473.3471
If you require financial assistance download this Transportation Assistance Program form. Please complete the form and return to the Dare County Department of Social Services located at 107 Exeter Street, Manteo, NC. 27954